Friday, August 14, 2009

UPO sighting

That’s Unexpected Positive Occurrence for the uninitiated. The other day a great experience slipped into my life when I wasn’t expecting it. I was driving through a little town when I saw a sign saying ‘delicious hot muffins’. It struck my eye just as I realised I was feeling peckish so I pulled into the café carpark, unable (well, unwilling) to resist the lure. As directed by the sign I wandered across the gravel to the back of the brightly painted wooden house the café was located in, intent only on finding a warm muffin or scone.

What met my eyes when I rounded the corner of the house was a complete surprise. Stretched out behind it, hidden from the carpark by a wall, was a deliciously green and shady glade, lawns dappled with the sun that reached through the tall trees round its perimeter. A fountain pattered softly into a pond filled with orange fish. It was like stepping into the secret garden from the book. ‘Have a look around’ someone called and I turned towards the verandah at the back of the house where two middle aged women in aprons sat, having their morning tea before the lunchtime rush started. ‘It goes right back,’ one of them said. ‘There’s even an outdoor bath. The first time I used it I looked up to find two big black eyes looking at me – it was a beast from the paddock next door.” I laughed, entranced.

Feeling welcome I wandered off through the garden, finding new treasures every few steps. Early cheer were in bloom and I stooped to sniff their quiet scent, evocative of childhood. Next to them was an amazing flower that reminded me of a jellyfish – a primulus with a yellow centre from which indigo blue and white stripes radiated out. A thin black cat with enormous ears accompanied me, rubbing round my legs and making me feel even more welcome. I paused, suddenly realising that the scene stretching out in front of me was reflected back from an enormous mirror framed in ornate, flowery metal work. But beyond that more garden stretched, with the sensuous scent of daphne luring me on.

Finally I came back for the muffin I’d originally stopped for. The owner chatted as she served me. When she found I was on my way to Wellington she said ‘you must go to Te Papa,’ the museum. ‘I went there last time,’ I said, ‘to the Monet exhibition.’
‘Oh wasn’t it wonderful?!’ she exclaimed. ‘I went three times.’ We went on to rhapsodise about Monet and how each of his paintings evoked a different emotion in us.
‘Which was your favourite?’ she asked. I was just about to say ‘the haystack’ when she said ‘mine was the haystack’. Then we were off again.

I left with an olive, feta and zucchini muffin, warm from the oven, and a little container of tamarind chutney, both of which were delicious. But more importantly I left uplifted by the beauty of the garden, the warmth of the welcome and the pleasure of sharing my enjoyment of a wonderful painter. It just showed me that I never know when my life is about to be interrupted by a wonderful unexpected experience.

4 comments:

  1. My dear Kaye,

    I enjoyed reading your post, which shows your literary talent for descriptions, and your strong sense of aesthetic appreciation.

    The power of your writing is such that I forgot about the words only to find myself wandering around this property, padding the cat and savouring the muffin. I wasn't WITH you, when reading this post, I WAS you.

    Could a Monet painting be a good illustration of this particular post?
    I believe that including artwork (paintings, photography) would reflect even more the beauty and depth of your writing, as well as providing your blog with a point of difference.

    What do the others think?

    Take care

    F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. These are lovely comments. Hopefully you'll have a chance to go and see it for yourself. I think that putting a Monet painting in is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But where is it actually? Could you give us the address?

    Thanks

    F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - I missed that small detail out! It is the Mission Belle Cafe in Foxton - just on the m
    northmost edge of the State Highway 1 shops, on your left going south, on your right going north. I am already planning what to have there on my way home!

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment