Saturday, September 5, 2009

More feel good movies

Here are some more movies that can lift your spirits when you feel down. They may not work for everyone but they work for me! Remember - research shows that watching these kinds of movies can not only make people feel better but help them see things in a more positive and realistic perspective.

Lars and the Real Girl – a sweet fairy tale like story about a man who finds it hard to relate to others until he starts a meaningful relationship with a life size plastic doll. Very funny with a wonderful ending – makes you see the nice side of the human race

Burn after Reading – another great film from the Coen brothers, with Brad Pitt managing to look and sound stupid – quite a feat! Very funny and slightly crazy

Art School Confidential – one of the few movies I’ve seen recently where I didn’t have any idea what was going to happen from one minute to the next. Crazy, hilarious, and very original

Stepbrothers – another delightfully silly film starring Will Ferrell, with a moral buried under all the slapstick, bad jokes, and unlikely scenarios. Will does his normal great job as a huge, hairy child but the real treat are his bizarrely ambitious brother and severely repressed sister in law.

Starter for 10 – I picked this DVD up and put it down again several times before getting it out, but was glad I saw it. It’s an engaging and frothy with a serious side. Great performances from James McAvoy and Rebecca Hall. The plutey girlfriend is great fun, and watching the working class boy react to the vagaries of the upper class is painful but hugely funny.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I really like Burn After Reading too. I still haven't seen Lars And The Real Girl and this makes me more determined to. The others are good suggestions (although I'm still not convinced by Stepbrothers) and they're going on 'the list'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I must admit that as I wrote the blurb for Stepbrothers I was thinking 'not one for Kiki' because it has so much slapstick! But on second thoughts I think you would enjoy the awful Derek and his poor wife and horrible children. I just watched Burn after REading again and enjoyed it just as much - picked up all kinds of new things on a second viewing - so thanks for introducing me to that. Lars and the REal Girl sounds strange but isn't. It's very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment