Sunday, August 30, 2009

Uplifted by the natural world – pour mon ami F

One of the benefits of having a dog is that it encourages me to go for walks. On our way to a local city to attend a writing group and see my mother a few weeks ago I stopped at a lay by near a stream to let him stretch his legs. A warm sun shone down on us despite it being winter, and there was hardly any breeze. We parked beside a shallow stream running over golden stones, sending up glints where the rocks broke the water. When I was a child I saw stones like these as jewels – amber, tiger’s eyes – because they seemed to glow. Along the edge of the stream were trees – poplars, willows and others – many of them bare. A a few evergreens provided colour.

As we walked along the short grass beside the stream a fantail flitted out of one of the bare trees, spread the fan of feathers at its tail, and twisted and turned in mid-air. I gazed as it changing direction instantaneously, spiralling, spinning, falling then recovering. Barney was more interested in finding a good smelly bit of mud to roll in but I was entranced. Another fantail joined it for an acrobatic duet in mid-air, poised over the stream. I feel such pleasure and joy in natural surroundings – they lift me up when I’m down. That day I was happy to start with but the trees, the stream, the sun and the birds enhanced my pleasure in life.

3 comments:

  1. :)Nice. Fantails remind me of my childhood as I remember seeing them a lot then. Love the pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for dedicating this entry to me...and you know what I'm going to say!

    Some writers feel obliged to include nature descriptions, which then feel contrived and perfunctory.

    Your narration flows like the river you're depicting. And your words are like these glowing stones...

    Bises

    F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the photo of a fantail bum is great. I tried to find one of two fantails doing their amazing aerial dance but couldn't. They are such friendly little birds - I love them.

    As for you mysterious Mr F, no I didn't know what you were going to say. I'm always amazed that you like these descriptions, as to me the writing is very plain and simple. But I'm glad you do!

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment