Saturday, August 8, 2009

Is suffering useful?

Now and then a vision comes to me unbidden of what I would have been like if I hadn’t been shaped and mellowed by decades of depression and ME. I can just see the totally well Kaye now – so physically and mentally strong that she judges and criticises others who are not as robust, rides roughshod over others because she is so confident that she knows what is best for them and has no understanding of their reality. I mean I’m bad enough as it is! Without these illnesses to show me what a frail and fragile person I am, to make me (slightly!) humble, to give me insight into how hard life can be, I would be a much harsher person.

In the past I’ve thought that the world would be a better place if no one suffered. But from the vantage point of five decades on the planet I don’t think I’d want to live in a world where there was no suffering to learn from. Hmmm… does this make me a masochist? Don’t get me wrong – it hasn’t been fun having these illnesses. I haven’t enjoyed it. But as with a physical workout, once the pain and effort is over I can see the benefits. I think I am more compassionate, empathetic, non-judgmental and simply nicer as a result of the pain. I know how much it means when I am down and someone offers a kind word, when a bus driver sees me running for the bus and waits for me, then smiles instead of snarling. Knowing this I try to show the same kindness to others myself.

It’s not a view I held in my twenties, but in my fifties a world full of people with no personal experience of what it is like to be lonely, sad, scared, frail or miserable seems more like hell than heaven.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. If I didn't have chronic illness I would be working and studying flat stick in the medical profession. I had a huge list of goals that had nothing to do with my emotional or spiritual health and well-being. I wouldn't say I was a different person - just that I had a completely different focus for what was important in my life. Suffering has brought me to a better place, a place of depth. I'm not a spiritual master by any stretch of the imagination! And I don't believe we have to suffer to learn these lessons. But suffering has been useful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading your blog entry, one question sprung to mind: had you not suffered, would you have taken to writing?

    Cheers

    F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear mysterious Mr F ;-)

    I know your question was to our wonderful Kaye - but I couldn't help but answer it myself also.

    I wouldn't have taken to writing if I hadn't arrived at chronic illness and experienced all the loss that comes with it. For this I am grateful. I also wouldn't have met my loving partner (oops! fiance now!) and, well, the list could go on. Illness changed my path in life, and like Kaye, while I haven't enjoyed being in a state of un-wellness, the benefits have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add that it's a good question and I am interested in Kaye's answer to it also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I would have written regardless, just because for me writing is something I have to do. It's just a natural part of being me - I feel completely myself with a pen in hand or typing on the computer, making things out of words. I find it a complete joy and pleasure (when it's going right!) and a never ending miracle that I can make something solid out of thin air. I think what I would have written would have been different though - perhaps more superficial, or on different topics.

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment