Friday, August 7, 2009

Happy moments

• Buh-boing, buh-boing, buh-boing.’ I show the kids how to jump other pieces in Chinese checkers. ‘Buh-boing, buh-boing, buh-boing’ they mimic, laughing. Then they want music on. They think my music is strange. ‘Doesn’t this just make you feel happy when you hear it?’ I ask as some trance music plays. ‘Nah,’ they shake their heads. I start moving my arms in time to the music. Soon the kids are hysterical at the sight of my dancing. I’m having as much fun as when I was a kid myself, just losing myself in being silly and the wonderful looseness of laughter.

• .Walking through Farmers department store my eye is caught by a burst of colour. I look closer and see flannel pajamas in a lilac colour dotted with starts in purple, yellow and pink. Looking at them makes me feel so happy. I look at the other pajamas to see how they make me feel. Stripes – no, flowers – no. I look back at the purple starry pajamas and feel another burst of happiness. It’s weird, but nice, how happy looking at them makes me feel.

I’m standing at the kitchen sink, shelling an egg. The dishes are done, the washing is on, the clothes in the dryer are dry and all the animals are fed and happy. Everything is in order. I pause to realise how contented I feel in this moment. I’m looking forward to today’s trip to beach, to seeing my mum and my friend, to walking Barney barndog on the beach. I’m poised on that knife edge where looking back and looking forward over the day is pleasurable and the present moment is happy – the knife edge of happiness.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your descriptions of being with the kids - thanks for making me smile :-)

    How about putting up your top ten funniest movies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK you're on! I'll write the movies up now. Still haven't posted my recipes though - maybe I'll just email them to you. The kids are fun - they invaded me at 9.15 this morning and are currently doing my dishes and generally making it very hard to think and write!

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment