Monday, August 10, 2009

Happy moments

• Barney’s OM (original mother) has just driven off with him in the van en route to her holiday home for dogs. With him gone I’ve been able to open every door in the house. The sunshine is pouring through, cats are running round. I’m about to pack for the drive to Hamilton, where I’ll stay overnight with friends. I’m flooded with happiness – the sun, my dogless state, looking forward to the trip, feeling free and on the verge of an adventure
• The frost crunches underfoot as I walk round the garden in the chilly morning sun, looking for dog poo. My eye is caught by a flash of red. The japonica tree is in bloom. Bronze branches spike and glisten in the sun, studded by pale red flowers with yellow centres. I stand a moment to look at them, feeling entranced and joyful about their beauty and the coming of spring
• I lie back in the sun, letting it warm me. Barney is running round the deserted park, having fun exploring. I sit up and enjoy the view of brilliantly green lawns and huge pine trees surround them, the feeling of sun on my face

2 comments:

  1. My dear Kaye,

    I loved this entry and I must say, one sentence did particularly spark my interest: "on the verge of an adventure"...what adventure, your avid reader is wondering...

    Anyway, your lyrical descriptions are as bright and vivid and beautiful as paintings by Jacqueline Elley:
    www.elley.co.nz

    Take care

    F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my friend. I thought of you when I posted it and hoped you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment