Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Unless I control the dog the dog controls my moods - or does he?

I have discovered the secret to controlling Barney barndog. It is by doling out miniscule portions of wet cat food (known in the vernacular as ‘jelly meat’) whenever he behaves as I desire. World domination is mine, provided I keep up stocks of Gourmet cat food. (Manufacturers please note, I’m ripe for a sponsorship deal here.) It occurred to me last night that I write about my dog so much in this blog that it’s a dog blog more a happiness blog. Maybe I should retitle it Bringing up Barney? Authentic Obedience? The How of Dog Training? Hmmm. It’s a thought. (I didn’t say a good one.)

The reality is that Barney’s behavior has a huge impact on my moods. When he is bitey, on days when walking round the yard is made difficult by having to drag behind me the creature attached by the teeth to my trousers or boots, when my hands are bleeding and sore from his nips – I really experience a lot of negative emotions. Anger, hatred, frustration, shame, rage, misery, despair. All my old feelings of failure and inferiority come rushing back. I have to work extra hard not to take it personally, not to project it into the future as a never-ending failure, not to feel my whole life is crappy. In fact as I write I realise it’s about the three p’s of learned optimism – personalization, permanence and pervasiveness. The four p’s when you add in Barney’s accidents on the carpet. (Not the kind of p Martin Seligman had in mind I suspect.)

Now that I’m fully implementing the Dog Listener method life is much happier, and so am I. Today we’ve only had a couple of bitey episodes, strictly confined to the blanket, which soon ceased when I ignored him. Other than that he has been a sweet, playful, loving little dog. Right now he’s sound asleep on one side of the fire while my white cat sleeps on his blanket on the other side. Even Barney’s attempts to take over Bowie’s blanket have been so half-hearted that a look and a raised eyebrow on my part put an end to them. (Barney has a bad case of blanket envy.) Today I feel happy, even light hearted, playful and elated (it’s good to get full value from my thesaurus). It’s easy for me to assume this is because Barney is good. But I know it’s much more to do with how I’m thinking. While it’s tempting to believe that good dog = good mood, I have a lot more control over it than that. It is situations like this that make me glad I know so much about identifying the thoughts that make me feel bad and modifying them. And that I have a copy of The Dog Listener!

4 comments:

  1. Kaye, it sounds like you are developing into quite the alpha bitch. Well done! I'm glad though that you can feel happy independently of Barney (and Bowie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kiki - I know you mean that in the nicest possible way. Although the the jelly wrestling option always remains open for working out who is the alpha-ist bitch of them all!

    Yes my work on becoming emotionally independent of my pets is coming along quite nicely. I should be able to leave home for more than an hour without them after another year or two of therapy. (OK for people who don't know me this is a JOKE! I can already leave home for an hour at a time.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this dog may respond to situations that remind him of past trauma in his previous home and previous life.

    When the biting happens, do you stare then stare at him? If I do that to my cat, I'm in for an attack. But maybe the concept of alpha bitch involves staring at the dog!

    Good luck

    F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strangely enough I don't think he had that much trauma in his past life, apart from occasionally being locked in a dark space, which I don't do. I think it's mainly my lack of experience in handling dogs that has caused the problem. As I get more experience and knowledge, so his behaviour improves.

    You are so right about staring at him! At first I made this mistake and he would get quite aggressive. Now I look at him much less. Being an alpha bitch seems much more about ignoring him, believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment