Friday, July 17, 2009

Doing something nice for my future self



The other night I came home late after seeing a friend and found someone had laid the fire ready to light and filled up the water bottle I keep by my bed. Not big things, but not having to do them when I was tired made me feel cared for and special. Knowing that someone had been thoughtful enough to come in and do these things for me gave me a warm feeling.

In fact it wasn’t a big mystery who had done them. I had felt well enough to lay the fire and fill the water bottle before I left home. But that didn’t matter. I felt as cared for and nurtured as if a friend or my mother had come in and done it for me.

This reminded me about a technique I’ve used in the past to motivate myself to do things. Instead of thinking ‘I should…’ or ‘I ought to…’ do x, y or z I think of it as doing a favour for myself. I project myself into the future and think how pleased I’ll feel when I wake up tomorrow and find the dishes are done or I’ve paid those bills. When I reframe it as something I’m doing for myself, rather than something I’m making myself do because of some external pressure or standard, my feelings about the task change completely. And when my future self realises that the task is done I feel nurtured and cared about, just as much as if someone else had done it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add a comment