Sunday, July 5, 2009

Success (sort of) using problem solving techniques


Today I went and sat in the sun with Barney on his duvet and we had an almost bite-free pleasant time. He snuggled into my side, biting on his chew toy instead of me or my clothes. This is such a contrast to even two days ago when sitting on the duvet with him outside would lead to a vicious wrestling match ending with me angry and nursing sore, bleeding hands, almost hating him. Now Barney is snoozing by the wood burner on his blanket, looking like a placid puppy who wouldn’t dream of biting anyone.

This seems like a miracle, and I hope it lasts. I achieved it the way I’ve achieved every improvement in my mood, every conquest of a relapse of depression – by trial and error, researching the evidence, reviewing what I’ve tried so far – what worked, what didn’t – and brainstorming new ways around the problem. My father taught me problem solving techniques when I’d had a fight with my best friend at 16. Despite initial scepticism I found them marvellous and have used them ever since. They’ve been reinforced by the problem solving approach inherent in cognitive therapy, which I’ve been using for over quarter of a century.

So it is natural to apply a problem solving approach to the Barney situation. I know I’m doing something that is accidentally rewarding his biting. Somehow I need to get the message into his little doggie head that biting results in no fun. I’ll keep trying, reviewing, revising until I get back the non-bitey dog I first knew and liked. I just went outside and got nipped again so it’s back to the drawing board, but I know I’ll get there in the end if I just keep trying and don’t give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add a comment