Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Heading off a relapse

If I don’t watch it I’m going to crash. I can see the signs. Things like:
• Waking up in the early hours of the morning and lying awake worrying and fretting about things that have gone wrong or may go wrong
• Shaky mood some days, with moments of depression at times
• Feeling that life is too much and I can’t cope
• Getting angry and frustrated.

My happiness is like a precious metal in a vault. I need to monitor it, keep guard, watch for the alarm signals that tell me it’s at risk. If I don’t guard it zealously I will lose it – again. Not for a long time this time, but I’ve had enough depression in my life that I don’t want a moment more if I can avoid it. And I can.

So here’s what I’m doing to make sure my mood doesn’t crash:
• Reducing my stress levels, not taking on tasks that would be too much, avoiding stressful meetings
• Organising regular social contact, visiting and ringing friends, having people round for dinner
• Making a note of good things, what I’ve achieved and what I’m looking forward to each morning
• Talking to my counsellor
• Sticking to my routine so I don’t get exhausted
• Getting more time outside for bright light.

If I catch it in time I should be fine. What I’ve learned over the years is that keeping watch over my precious happiness and taking quick action to protect it avoids hours of heartache.

2 comments:

  1. I love the image that you're using : happiness is indeed a treasure in a vault and you're the guard.

    You had mentioned in previous entries the importance of laughter and comedies. Would it help towards safeguarding this treasure?

    If so, I do recommend you rent "Be Kind Rewind". It's one of the most funny and creative film I've seen in a long time. You'd love it.

    Take good care of you.

    F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah mon ami you are still a reader! thanks for your kind words. I think funny vids are a great idea - thanks for reminding me. This is the second time someone has quoted one of my blog entries back at me! I will pick up some funny vids tonite including 'be king rewind'. Merci.

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment